The history of Fardem Packaging BV goes back to 1884, when L.J. Heijmeijer started a business situated on Het Marken in the Dutch cheese town of Edam, manufacturing and trading in hessian cloth and bags. In 1950, paper was added to that list, with the company beginning the production of multiwall paper bags. This concern was sold in 1989 to the Finish company UPM. The foundations for the polyethylene (PE) film business were laid in 1958. The first step was the extrusion of polyethylene film and the production of polyethylene industrial bags, liners and packaging film.
Fardem Packaging BV has grown into a leading company in the European packaging industry. In 1992, Fardem Packaging BV moved into new premises on the West industrial estate in Edam – a low-noise, energy-efficient factory, complete with climate control.
During Fardem Packaging BV’s long history, the company has had a number of owners, including DSM. As of 1 January 2012, Fardem Packaging BV is owned by Oerlemans Packaging BV, based in Genderen, in the Dutch province of North Brabant.